Monday, November 3, 2008

Voting Angst: Part Second

Honestly, it's hard for me to want to vote either way. When it comes to principles, I lean toward McCain and can't really consider Obama. When it comes to presentation of candidates, I lean toward Obama and can't imagine McCain. Obama seems significantly more rational and effective as a politician than McCain, but that doesn't mean he's the best choice. The liberal side strikes me as a pipe dream of a perfect world laced with some fairly disturbing and immoral ideas. I don't believe Obama seeks to kill babies and throw our country into communism, but there are definitely ideas that give me the heebie-jeebies. The Republican side reeks of ignorance, cronyism and decay. They can't get anything done and ignore facts that scream in their faces. Ostriches with their heads in the sand, both sides spending our money to save their personal political careers. At the expense of the rest of us. It's a brave new world or the same ol' corrupt one, eh?

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground for me. I checked out the third parties, they scare the heck out of me. They don't have ANY idea what they're doing in national/international policies. Basically, I feel like all I get is lies and propaganda and I don't know how I can make a good decision. As if there were a good decision.

So, I'll go to the booth tomorrow and vote. It doesn't make me happy; I'm not excited to do this particular civic duty. It feels like someone but a bag of poo on my porch last night and I have to clean it up now. When the chips are down, my sister's bit on the abortion issue (http://nessaandmichael.blogspot.com) seems the only thing that strikes a real chord in me. All of the rest seems like so much force-fed drivel that has nothing to do with the way the country will actually be run. It is certainly time for change, but there ain't no change in this election. So I'll vote for no change tomorrow. Not because I want to; because I have no choice.

3 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Well, I've thought a lot about this. I agree about the Republican party's decay. It's fairly traditional that this happens to the party every 20 years ago, and it takes a real "poo" stink to get the public to actually notice and start doing something about it. I think the real key is involvement in politics, or at least AWARENESS of politics, at a more local level. The party changes here, right in my own state senate and governor's office. Good leaders have to start somewhere. Too often I go to the ballot box, randomly choose whoever has an "R" by their name, and go home feeling fat and happy about myself. Now, looking at the mess we're in, I realize that I need to take a lot more responsibility. It doesn't take much to get your opinion voiced. I've written several letters to my senators/representatives this year and I have gotten a personal email back every single time. That strikes me. They've either got a lot of time, or hardly anyone voicing their opinions, and I think it's probably the latter.

Nobody is running for republican in my district this year. Bugs the heck out of me. I told Michael I'm running in 2010. :c) Even if we are like 100% democrat. The other five republicans will appreciate my efforts.

I've tried to be a lot more supportive of my own races. I LOVE our governor, I think he is an honest, hard working, miracle working man. He turned down the chance to be McCain's running mate. I want to let him know how much I appreciate his efforts, especially since because everyone is "so sick of the republicans" he is getting lumped in with them and probably won't get re-elected, even after a phenomenally successful and impressive term.

Anyway, there are a few of my thoughts on how to fix the problem.

I do agree with you about Obama not turning the country communist. :c) I think he would try to go left if he could, but the blessed economic crisis will probably force everyone into conservativism, simply because there is no money. I feel grateful for our crisis, I really feel like it's the droughts in the BoM. Hahahahahaha! I also agree about the lies - or at least distortions for the sake of getting elected. That is why I almost wholly rest my vote upon the candidates record and their party platform, two things that we know are true.

I'm glad you agree on the abortion issue. I feel deeply concerned about our own individual responsibility to try and protect the innocent children in our society.

Love you, bro. Thanks for thinking.

Bradwich said...

Thanks for articulating my thoughts so well. I also read your sister's comment and blog post, and find myself agreeing. If I end up having time to drive up to Murray (I neglected to register to vote down here), McCain probably will have my vote.

squirrelyearl said...

I'd say that's a pretty fair analysis of everything. Now that the election is over, I know I'm of the opinion that Obama won't really do much of anything. Sure he's instilled a lot of hope in this country, but it just seems so empty and such. There doesn't seem to be any real substance to his cliche phrases of "Hope" "Change" and "Yes we can". I mean seriously? What is all that? Where is going to go? Is it going to go? I hope dearly he can do something magnificent for the country, but I know what his history was as a Senator and there really is nothing. But yeah, McCain and the Republican Party has become a mess as well. Of course a lot of the problem I think is the fact that we are in an age of so much information that nothing is pretty much ever going to look good enough (except for the Press really dodging a lot of the Obama questioning). It's good that we do have a media that is willing to oversee politics and ask the hard questions, but at the same time, I think the press needs to have more realistic expectations sometimes rather than acting like every action is ALWAYS the wrong action. Going to be a very different next 4 (8?) years.