Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In the wake of Prop 8

I wasn't a big participator in the Prop 8 argument. I'm not firmly decided in any particular way, it seems MUCH more complicated that most want it to be. Believe it or not, the argument over Prop 8 is not between lunatic, godless, twisted sex demons bent on fiery, burning apocalypse and the complete destruction of America's moral system versus wild-eyed Christian fanatics bent on conquest through Bible-violence, forcing their opinions on innocent bystanders like bloody crusaders of years past carving a swath through heathen "Mohamadens".

It's all much more human than that. These people on both sides are people, people.

However, what does get me in a bit of a fit (Besides retarded Mormons with no idea how to ethically consider people that have different beliefs and lifestyles) is the post-prop 8 backlash. Many of the homosexual-rights groups have gone well past the line. I'm not talking about civil rights or political platitudes. I'm talking about blatant disregard of life, liberty and property. Why do we even HAVE a constitution if these people can trample on the rights of those that disagree?

Check out this article, it echoes many of my sentiments in a fairly level-headed way:
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YTU5MjZmMDIyMDU3NjRiMjBlNjcxYTlmOGQ2ODA5NjA=

Why do we stand for it? Why are the protesters climbing over the wall of the LA temple not thrown in prison? Why are many of the vocal anti-religious groups not branded as the bigoted idiots that they present themselves as? Why isn't America pissed about this?

I am.

3 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Oh, sweet. You DO read my emails after all! I totally concur in every way.

squirrelyearl said...

Yeah, some pretty crazy things going on. I guess for a large part they look at some of the other Civil Rights movements and they compare their actions to those. I know that's a big thing of how they compare this to a right. But it's silly how a lot of ridiculous propaganda gets spread around like statements claiming "This is the first time a group has ever had rights taken away from it in the history of America." Yes, people are honestly making those kinds of statements, so I don't know what history books they've been reading but I would think almost any ethnicity could take issue with that statement from one point in history or another. I know Catherine also has been having some issues with her good friend that is gay. He's basically mandating she renounce her beliefs and condemn her Church or give up their friendship, it's down right ludicrous.

On the plus side, I know I've read a fair share about gay rights groups that have been coming out and condemning these kinds of actions targeting specific groups and such. So hopefully a lot of the backlash is dying down and such. I mean as far as a political strategy goes, it doesn't make much sense to attack another minority group in retaliation if you want things to go your way.

Bradwich said...

Reading your post brought to mind the words of another Eric. I read his stuff and actually laughed out loud (LOL!). Especially the first couple of paragraphs. Check it out.

http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-gay-marriage-column/