Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bumbling around Vienna

Snippets from what I've done recently:

- I played basketball with Austrians. I didn't really know what to expect going into it, having heard mixed reports on the quality and style of basketball in Europe. First impression when I arrived: These boys are BIG. Seems like half the guys on the court were 6'4", 220 lbs. of muscle. Ridiculous. Anyhow, the game was extremely competitive. I loved it! They were about as good as some of the better non-team guys at BYU. The game is a little different. They shoot a lot more (and are WAAAAY better shooters) and they have a real post game, but there is far less slashing and driving and physical play. It was really fun to play, with better passing and fundamentals. I got killed at first but eventually figured out the pace of the game and did much better.

- Watched the BYU-Utah game last night. What can I say? So our receivers can't catch. Big deal! Collie catches 'em when they count! Game MVP: Utah players who can't stop fouling.

- I went to Schonbrunn palace, which is a huge, ornate baroque palace. We took the "grand" tour and saw most of the rooms. Just an absurd amount of money went into that place. It housed 1500 people during its heyday. 1500! Each room was decorated differently. There were porcelain rooms, walnot-wood paneled rooms, exquisite parquet flooring and the like. The usual European fare. I'm excited to get back to Utah and get to enjoy the great architecture and design of buildings like the Clyde Building and the MARB. Shoot me.

- Allyson and I went to the ballet "Coppelia". I hadn't been to a ballet in years and years and was curious to see if I'd like it. I did. Who would have thought that people dancing could be funny? It is a very lighthearted ballet (unlike many of the others with people dying right and left) and the music, although unfamiliar, was very nice.

- My host showed us how to make Apple Strudel last week, so we made some and devoured them. There was one whole strudel for me and I ate the whole dang thing in one sitting. Tasty...

- Yesterday we went to a very fancy international grocery store. They had things from all over the world! Black tomatoes, Nectricots, 20 pound toblerones, they had it all. The highlight? White Truffles. Only $7500.00 a pound!

Well, that's all you get for know. Sure, we did more, but that's all I remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my i laughed so hard when i read your comment on provo's architecture.... hahahaha, i'm still laughing!! oh, and i was IN the ballet copellia once upon a time. it's such a good one! and you're right, it is funny! our stage director had sooo much fun giving us mimes and facial expressions!