Friday, June 22, 2007

Revisiting Paschel's Wager

Yeah, so this pretty much has nothing to do with Paschel's Wager. There are many other options in the "next life" if it exists than hell or eternal life. But I wanted to consider the Either/Or position. I think the concept of eternal life, especially the Mormon idea of eternal life, is so intriguing, so fascinatingly wonderful, that to prove it and have absolute certainty of it is nigh impossible. It is such a grand idea that the evidence requisite to prove it would be much higher than proving the theory of relativity, evolution, or what have you. Something that promises that much requires so much more evidence to effectively convince on that they are not being scammed. However, at the same time, the promises are so great that it requires so much more evidence to toss it all out completely. If religious experiences give even the slightest glimmer of hope that this reality may be real, then of course we cling to it, hold to it--it's that worth while if it is true, it is everything. Then this is why we struggle with it, it is so precious, yet so hard to pin down. We teeter-totter in our trust of the promise, but to forsake it completely (or invest completely) is quite the ordeal for any conscious thinker. At least those are my views.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interestingly, I'd say that the promise of eternal life is generally not a live thing for me. I really don't think it plays much of a role in my life. Good? Bad? I dunno, but there it is.

Martin Pulido said...

I'd say that's an interesting position, which I don't have. of course, the self tends to broadcast its views on others, so I would tend to think most people are intrigued and enlivened by the concept of eternal life. Being in a state not where problems do not exist, but the capability to do more and know of more is increased, and the process does not end in death. Fascinating, breathtaking idea that I hope for, childish or no.