Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Birthday Pizza

Last night I made my Mom pizza on her brand-new pizza stone. It was marvelous!


Basically I made the dough and while it sat I chopped veggies (Red Onion, Zucchini, Portabello Mushrooms, Green Bell Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes). I put the veggies in a casserole and tossed them in olive oil, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, I mixed some softened butter with green onions, minced garlic, and basil leaves. I put the veggies in the oven for 10 minutes at 425, and then put the crust in with the veggies for another 10 minutes (the pizza stone had been in during the preheat process). I removed the crust, spread it with the herb butter, added some mozzarella cheese, piled it high with roasted veggies, sprinkled it generously with parmesan and baked it until browned and bubbly. And thus, Roasted Vegetable Bianca Pizza was born!

It really was tasty. The crust turned out marvelous, a sturdy medium-thickness crust that didn't bend under the significant weight of lovely vegetables but wasn't overly dense. Hurrah for pizza stones! The veggies were soft but still had some texture to them, providing satisfying resistance. The butter precluded any need for sauce and compensated for my relatively light use of cheese. I would have liked to put some asiago, romano or fontina cheese, but Wal-Mart doesn't have the greatest selection...

Anyhow, good pizza!

2 comments:

squirrelyearl said...

Doesn't quite sound like my flavor but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bradwich said...

Sounds delicious, sir. Nice work.